This Page

has been moved to new address

5 Lolita Styles That Need To Make a Comeback!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Lolita Charm: 5 Lolita Styles That Need To Make a Comeback!

Thursday, February 3, 2011

5 Lolita Styles That Need To Make a Comeback!

With the recent talk of 'old school', I must admit that I went through the most ancient photos and street snaps looking to see where the inspiration lay. While some outfits made me glad those days were gone, there were a few styles I did look back on with fondness and wishing... Some styles are no longer made and probably lost to the sands of time, or the backs of closets... But these five styles could still make an appearance! These are my top five favorites!

One of the first photos I saw of a lolita, a real lolita, who I later actually met (!), was a girl with pink hair, in a pink Angelic Pretty dress, wearing rocking horse shoes. I was absolutely enchanted. The rocking horse shoe was once a staple of lolita style, similar to the rectangular headdress (and yes, don't worry, it makes this list too!). The platform shoe is ideal as it makes the rest of the lolita look tiny and delicate in comparison. The rocking horse has the added benefit of the 'chip' taken out the back, which gives the unearthly appearance of walking on air. Their simple style compliments any outfit, and ballerina ties, as notoriously hard as they are to keep up (I remember a friend using sock glue to keep hers on!), look adorably delicate.

(Warning: more Kamikaze Girls fangirling ahead.) Momoko (novel) was describing her outfit as a typical family stops her in her favorite castle-themed restaurant, mistaking her as waitress. She says describes her outfit as being black with white lace and frilly headdress (rectangular) and an apron, for the 'cute image of a maid in a European castle.' I died. Usually I think of princesses for lolita, and maids as something sexy, but the idea of a cute little lolita maid in a castle, eventually finding her prince perhaps? (Just like the Innocent World ad above!) Baby used to sell plenty of aprons back in the day, a staple of their site - in colors like pink and blue, with heart- or bunny-shaped bodices. Today's fashion will still use aprons a little, mostly brands like Baby or Innocent World, but only as part of specific outfits or coordinates. I would love to see them brought back as interesting staples in solids, meant to be paired with many items - I think they would suit those who love lolita as well as natural-kei or mori-girl.


After the full apron of course you had to see this coming - the rectangular or traditional headdress. One of the first hair accessories and an item unique to lolita, this also got pushed to the side and out of popularity due to, well, its popularity - it was so iconic that it was being portrayed in animes and mangas, leading to more cosplay interpretations. They're also considered 'easy to make', but as a beginner who has tried to make headdresses and seen many other try as well they often look like disasters. A real headdress, usually brand, is made of beautiful fabric as high-quality as the dress, with petersham ribbon and quantities of elegant lace and snowy ribbon. Baby and Angelic Pretty release them from time to time, and Innocent World is fond of the headdress-with-headband version, which doesn't require you to pin on the headdress. I'm currently on the hunt for a Baby or Angelic Pretty rectangular headdress myself!

Monochrome prints were some of the first lolita border prints to hit the scene - images that were screen-printed in usually only one or two colors. Pastel a La Mode, shown above, is an example of a monochrome print from Angelic Pretty (shown here on Maki). Today's print craze has lent itself to entire rainbows, making coordinating easy - nearly every pastel can be found in, say, Milky Planet. Monochrome prints can show a cute image like artwork without overwhelming the person wearing it, or the overall design of the dress. 


Shiro lolita: once a staple of the lolita scene, has faded from view. Shiro lolita, meaning white, is a lolita coordinate done entirely in white - from lace-adorned canotier right down to the tips of her shoes. I'm not sure why this style disappeared - its counterpart, kuro lolita, for lolita done entirely in black, still seems to have followers in the gothic substyle. This style could look gothic, sweet, or classic depending on the brands and items used, making it a great look for lovers of any substyle. The pale, ethereal look always makes me think of a picture book I had growing up - The Little Water-Babies. In it, a chimney sweep falls down a chimney pot and finds a beautiful little girl asleep in her big white bed, dressed all in white lace, with her little white dog. Such a romantic, angelic image! 

I also found this adorable shiro lolita makeup tutorial on Youtube by FilleDePorcelaine! She really does look like a porcelain girl!


and I couldn't resist one last photo...





What styles would you like to see popular again in lolita? Do you have a favorite that you keep with you even as it fades from popularity? 



xoxo,

Labels:

1 Comments:

At March 2, 2011 at 3:30 AM , Anonymous cosplay said...

Today's world is growing very rapidly. Everyone wants to look good.In this case cosplay outfit has a perfect balance between the lace and the open part. It gives you personal satisfaction. It has a wide variety of costumes. Cosplay Costume is one of top sellers this season.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home