This Page

has been moved to new address

Hi My Name Is

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Lolita Charm: Hi My Name Is

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Hi My Name Is


Most classes are getting out for summer break here in the United States. College exams are finished; dorms are empty. Even the high schools and junior highs are nearing the end, and the warm grass smells drift in through the open windows. As for me? Nose to the grindstone: I'm taking a summer class to power through some requirements.

Today was the first day of my month-long course. Last night, as I packed up my bag (somehow, it always feels like the first day of kindergarten all over again!) I was hit with a sudden, terrifying thought: what in the world was I going to wear?!

Going to class in lolita is a whole other kettle of fish compared to the usual treks into the real world. Typically, a lolita might run to the supermarket, swing by the mall, maybe visit her local library. The nice thing about these kinds of simple errands is that the people you meet - you won't be meeting again. If they don't like you, your shoes, your hair, or what kind of cookies you buy, it doesn't matter. You won't be seeing them again, most likely, and they won't be seeing you. But what if you're going to class or to the workplace? You aren't just breezing in and out. You'll be expected to work with these people on a regular basis, so it really is best that you can get along with them. Granted, there will be people in all walks of life who just rub you the wrong way and vice versa, but one should try their best.

So what does this have to do with what you're going to wear? Well, as you know, everything! Are you going to go in there and bust a frill or are you surreptitiously clinging to a Sanrio pen? Does your school or workplace allow unusual dressing, or is it very inappropriate to deviate from the dress code? There are a few different approaches to this situation. There really is no right answer, it's just how you feel most comfortable.

The Sly: On your first day, you might look like anyone else. But little by little, you start sneaking in your lolita love. A bow one day, a pair of unicorn knee socks the next... And little by little, people will get to know you based on your personality, not just what you wear. If you have a strict dress code, this might be the way to go. You can still express yourself and your style (and love the tiny charms of your outfit!) while focusing on your reason for being there: work, professional relationships, etc. See what kind of small lolita touches you can add to an ordinary wardrobe, like cameo earrings or sweet Innocent World style Mary Janes.

The Loud and Proud: It's the first day and you're the girl exploding petticoats out of her seat. You're drawing attention like a gentleman peacock in a room full of hens. Nobody quite knows what to make of you, and you might bask in this a little. Maybe lolita gives you the needed mental boost to brave through the first day, or maybe you'd be even more uncomfortable dressed in something else. Perhaps the frills give you a sense of security, or you're just not interested in any pretense. More power to you if this is your method! Try to be upbeat and outgoing, even if you're very nervous inside. Send a message that you like to dress differently, not isolate yourself from others.

The Casual: This is my style so far, if only from necessity. Ditch the super-poof in favor of built-in, subtle crinolines; a small bow of clip beats out the giant head-eating bow any day. My first day of class outfit was very simple (no photos, sorry!): a pink hoodie; a BABY the Stars Shine Bright skirt, sans petticoat; bow-decorated heels without socks; a Paris-themed t-shirt; my beloved shimmery pink bow headband; and a Charmmy Kitty messenger bag. This is especially useful a style if you don't have the energy or time to really wear full-blown lolita. The look is definitely still cute and lolita; it just saves both you and the people around you some hassle.

The Chameleon: You've decided: you don't want to wear lolita anywhere near school or work (or maybe you simply can't, due to rules). It's just regular style for you on the first day and every day, and that's perfectly fine. Plenty of girls prefer to dress only on the weekends or with their friends or at events. Save your dresses and rhinestoned eyelashes for people who appreciate them, right? Or maybe you're just not interested in having to play the 'What are you wearing?' game while you're trying to do your job, and that's fine too. You don't need to wear lolita 24/7 to be one, or even to identify as a lifestyle lolita. The only person who can define lolita for you is you.

No matter what you decide to wear, try to present your best self to your new classmates or coworkers. Even if you are a very shy person with a tendency to clam up in new situations (I do!) actively focus on your best traits or the traits you would like the have. Do you want to be friendlier? Do you want to be more positive? I always try to remind myself that being cynical and pessimistic (two things I can turn into if I don't watch it) is much easier and blander than being positive and genuine. Anyone can be cynical and world-weary, especially in modern culture. It takes a different kind of bravery to be who you really are.

Are you ready for your first day? No matter what you decide to wear or what kind of person you decide to be, I hope you enjoy the new people and experiences you meet in your future!

image by exactflare

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At May 26, 2009 at 7:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What wonderful advise! Personally I would prefer the sly/casual since its still being yourself but not being a part of the side show for your class/work. X3

 
At May 27, 2009 at 2:33 AM , Blogger matcha_pop said...

Funny enough, I was just thinking earlier today about how dressing in lolita daily is completely different because you're stuck interacting with the same people. I'm curious, do people eventually get used to you or is it like you've emblazoned a scarlet "L" across your chest?

 
At May 27, 2009 at 4:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think i switch between the casual and the sly XD

 
At May 27, 2009 at 7:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! (One of my favorites)
I'm between the Loud and Proud and the Casual since I wear toned down outfits due to not wanting to be too cumbersome and not wanting any of my clothing to get damaged. (I rather wear a specific outfit to an event than to a daily activity.)
If the situation doesn't allow it, I don't wear it.

 
At May 27, 2009 at 3:15 PM , Anonymous Julia Jones said...

Great post, hun! As to be expected, I can't wear anything remotely lolita while housekeeping - it's khaki pants and a polo for me, hair in a ponytail and no jewelry. Though I'd love to shock them all and wear my Baby bow one day, it'd just be impractical. So I do little things to lolify my day outside of clothing: I fold everything into big, poofy bows: the washcloths and handtowels, the tissues and bathmats. :3 I can still have my fun!

 
At May 28, 2009 at 7:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm the Loud and Proud type. XD;; People eventually come to like my clothes or at least not mind them so much. I'm glad that college students are nicer about it then high school students, at least, because every once in a while there were kids in my high school classes who simply refused to accept my manner of dress.

I get the feeling that I scare people off, but if they are closed-minded enough to dislike my clothes, I would rather have them dislike me from the start so I wouldn't have to deal with getting friendly with them only to have them suddenly dislike me/have them annoy me too much because they don't want to think that there are different people out there.

 
At May 31, 2009 at 6:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm the loud and proud type too (but with a subtle, comfy petticoat) since I started at University (4 years after finishing my degree) this year. Sometimes I don't wear loli clothes if I'm in a big rush or don't feel like dressing in a skirt, but then some people notice and ask me why I'm not wearing lolita clothes :D

Seeing the same people everyday, I think they get used to your style. It's a great opportunity to educate people about it too. I did my show and tell in Japanese class about a lolita meet-up I went to :)

I'm glad I wear lolita clothes to University almost every day now. The first time I studied at University I heard about the fashion at the end of first year, but I hadn't worked out that I could get or make the clothes myself (even though I already knew how to make clothes). So now it's like I'm making up for my previous slowness and hopefully spreading the acceptance of loli style throughout my city.

I hope someone sees me and decides to get into the fashion <3 My city desperately needs more lolis!

 
At June 4, 2009 at 5:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seamstressy's comment reminds me of my Patternmaking instructor. One day I showed up to class in a '60s box-cut dress and she hardly recognized me without all my petticoats on! I also taught her about lolita fashion because she wanted to use it as inspiration for a play she was doing the costumes for, so you really can educate people about it just by wearing it. :D

 
At March 26, 2010 at 11:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm most definitely a Loud and Proud. I have come to not even care what negative comments others have to say about me and my super-poof AP dress. I do it for myself(and possibly the 1-3 people who drool over the frills ^_^).

 
At July 9, 2010 at 7:51 PM , Blogger Across Lots said...

oh jeez. I'm loud and proud. i get dressed up even when im only doing errands; i wear my poofiest crinoline and bloomers no matter how hot is it out. my fashion goal is to look like a confection everyday, no matter what i'm doing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home