This Page

has been moved to new address

Gothic Lolita Wigs Review: The Hime Edition!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Lolita Charm: Gothic Lolita Wigs Review: The Hime Edition!

Monday, April 11, 2011

Gothic Lolita Wigs Review: The Hime Edition!

In one of my recent articles I discussed the fashion substyle, hime-lolita (princess inspired lolita - check out my full-length guide here!) and quelle coincidence, the wonderful wig company Gothic Lolita Wigs shortly afterwards debuted a new line of hime wigs! I just had to give it a shot.

First of all, let me dish the terms of princesshood. Sometimes this style of wig is listed as a 'himegyaru' wig or a 'hime lolita' wig. These are separate fashions both inspired by princess themes, and may have some overlap depending on who you talk to. There has been a lot of talk about which term you prefer to use, and hime lolita and himegyaru discussing who's right. Here's the answer: this wig can be worn in any style you choose, depending on how you style it. Fashion is interpretive, and therefore, even with structure, is up to you to interpret. You can choose this wig to represent lolita style, himegyaru style, or to dress up as Cinderella if you want. What makes the difference is how you decide to style and wear it. Even something as lolita-worthy as a petticoat or a big bow can be worn with different styles or flavors. Nothing is really inherently 'lolita' on its own except for a full dress, perhaps. So please keep this in mind when bandying terms, or even more likely, pointing out how others bandy their terms. Fashion can be structured, but like a unicorn, you can't exactly pin it down into a medical drawing or a dictionary definition.


So here I am in the new wig! I purchased the diamond blonde, going for a very princess look (they also have it in medium brown, bordeaux red, golden blonde mix, light brown, and black - but light pink and white will be available in a few weeks!). The diamond blonde is a slightly yellowish, warmer blonde, less ashen or white than the blonde of my split Minty Mix wig. The texture is very soft, with long easily manipulated curls. I wanted more length, so I simply finger-combed and tugged at mine a little, and it lengthened easily. For massively long princess hair, you could easily attach a long curly blonde weft or a few blonde clip-in extensions from other wigs. 

The height is amazing! I didn't have to do a thing to this wig to make it huge. It soars above my head in a way Dolly Parton would be proud of. The bangs, I was cautioned, are thin - this, unfortunately, is true. The bangs are a little thin and wispy, which I solved by brushing them to the side. Another buyer has discussed using hair from the crown to trim in more thickness to the bangs, but I'm not sure I'm up to such surgery personally. The other structural issue with this wig is the shortness of the bangs - the 'hime bump' leaves little room for large bows or large decoration. Thinning the volume could help here, or adding a weft or clip-on bangs. I made it work out of the box with a small tiara and comb, but my big chiffon bow was out. Still, I think the intense volume and height of this wig beckons for other decorations, such as faux roses or possibly a large sweet-styled bonnet. 

I think this wig is a great style for upcoming spring events, like your local cherry blossom festival (you are going to your cherry blossom festival, right?!) It's light enough to be worn in warmer weather, with plenty of oomph and swing as a backdrop to cheerful spring and summer coordinates. That being said, for all you girls in the southern hemisphere, it'd look lovely with a winter coat and some fuzzy pink earmuffs!

As usual, customer service with Gothic Lolita Wigs is excellent, and shipping and packaging are fast and high-quality. I received my wig in a matter of days after ordering - I think only three! If you're looking for fast, quality wigs, this is definitely your shop! As a special extra, their hime line has a great introductory price of only $46 - knocked down from the usual $52!




Outfit: Dress, Angelic Pretty; tiara, Chocomint; bow, Chocomint; gloves, made for me by Michelle/osea_chelleo; ring, Betsey Johnson 


xoxo,

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At May 14, 2011 at 3:26 PM , Blogger ♥ ☆Lynne☆ ♥ said...

Wow. That looks really great. I need to get one.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home