This Page

has been moved to new address

It's Your Castle's... Closet!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Lolita Charm: It's Your Castle's... Closet!

Monday, February 8, 2010

It's Your Castle's... Closet!


So now that you've cleaned out your closet, what to do with it? Do you frequently come up with only one sock? Are you unsure of how many purses you have? Is your closet door stuck from opening? If you've answered yes to any of these questions, it's time to reorganize you closet.

Step One: Look at your closet's structure. Do you have a wardrobe, a closet with double doors, sliding doors, accordion doors, or just one door? Is it a walk-in closet, or is it shallow? Are your shelves fixed, or can you rearrange them? My closet has two sliding doors, which presents the problem of only being able to access half of the closet at a time. With a little Ms. Fix-it Know-How and a screwdriver, it'll be easy to take them off the tracks, opening up the wardrobe. Then curtains can be added instead.

Step Two: What exactly is IN there? Is it lolita clothes, regular clothes, old house coats? Is your cat sleeping in the rubble of heels, or were you an avid collector of board games in your childhood? Anything you're not using, put in storage, throw out, or donate. Then it's time to decide - is your wardrobe lolita only, or do you keep your jeans or school uniform there too? For me, it's lolita only - casual things can go in the bureau.

Step Three: Prime real estate. Where is the best 'real estate' in your closet? Front and center? Where the dresses live? Do you want a special section for the petticoats to breathe in? Designate sections to categories of clothes or accessories. This shelf is for purses; this for shoes. Then it's a one-stop shopping for getting dressed, just like on Poupee Girl.

Step Four: Order and Display. I like to put my items in category first (blouses, for example) and then color order (rainbow order for me! My books are in rainbow order too.) But so long as your items are in some kind of system, it can be anything you want. The other thing is to display your better items, like in the picture about. Purses displayed facing front or on an angle can show off their pretty faces; making a giant candy-shaped stand for headbows is both practical and adorable.

Step Five: Decorating! This is the best part. Here's a few ideas to spruce up your closet:

  • frame the door with Christmas lights or rose garlands;
  • paint the doors or inside a bright color that pops from your current color scheme;
  • add a cupcake stand for displaying mini-hats or other large accessories;
  • roll socks with the displays facing out so that they fill a decorative box, then prop up like a shadow box;
  • if you have room, add a wall decal to the inside or door, like a chandelier or trailing flowers
  • the perfect place to display your collection of brand bags - taped to the inside of your closet walls, as a brandwhore shrine;
  • edge the shelves with homemade ruffles, ribbons, or lace;
  • add a pretty mirror to the inside of the door
  • if it's a walk-in closet, try a standing mirror - I found one at a thrift store for $15!
I hope this has helped you prettify your closet like the one above :) It's much more fun to dress when you feel like a movie star in a dressing room! And when you can find both your socks...

Labels:

17 Comments:

At February 8, 2010 at 8:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a really wonderful post! I like to post my words for outfits and style in my clostet so I can personify them when getting dressed. My wardrobe is also organized by colour!

 
At February 8, 2010 at 9:14 PM , Blogger Violet LeBeaux said...

Seriously love this post it's given me so many ideas! At the moment because we're living with the bf's parents to save money to buy a house all of our belongings have been squished into one room. It's making me so much more inventive on how to arrange my own space at the moment as well as making me think long and hard about the storage I want in our new house. I am so looking forward to just making my whole closet space from scratch! Bring on the dedicated tiara spac! mwahahaha!
Thank you so much for linking my tutorial too <3

 
At February 8, 2010 at 9:21 PM , Blogger Victoria Suzanne said...

@VioletleBeaux: I'm hoping to make one when I have the chance, right now my bows are all thrown in a big box ;A; glad you liked it doll!

 
At February 8, 2010 at 9:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE your closet! 100% Awesome!

 
At February 8, 2010 at 9:56 PM , Blogger Victoria Suzanne said...

@paxlolita: oh, that one's not mine! it's just one I found floating on the Internet :)

 
At February 8, 2010 at 10:13 PM , Blogger roselilac said...

Oh I wish I had a closet filled with those clothes *le sigh*

I don't even have a closet, I have a rack. Nice post, reminds me I need to get rid of some of my old clothes.

 
At February 8, 2010 at 10:23 PM , Blogger tomi said...

I want the closet in that picute. ;A; I wish I could do that with mine!

 
At February 8, 2010 at 10:25 PM , Blogger Marchii said...

That's amazing! I have lots of dresses...but my closet is so boring T-T

 
At February 8, 2010 at 11:17 PM , Blogger Miss Scabtree said...

This is lovely :) My closet is quite dull and boring and actually, I share it with my cousin1 But I'll try to make my part of the closet all fancied up!
Thanks for the post, you're really awesome. :)
I might add something to it, but not too much.
I'd rather spend money on Lolita then closet decorations. :p

 
At February 9, 2010 at 4:21 AM , Blogger Anny said...

When I move I'll have a closet, but right I have nothing but my suitcase and a bag, so I can't really organize it. But I'll remember this when I can get a closet of my own again. ^^

 
At February 9, 2010 at 7:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post! Now that I have a complete lolita closet I need to organize it and decorate it, they are very useful ideas!

 
At February 9, 2010 at 10:51 AM , Blogger Lolitadewdrop said...

I cannot get over how much I love your cupboard doors!

 
At February 9, 2010 at 2:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this! I really need to clean out my closet and organize. But since I am leaving my apt in the summer, I don't want to put too much energy into it yet. But this is giving me great ideas for wherever my new place will be ^_^

 
At February 9, 2010 at 4:29 PM , Blogger Lady Kraai said...

Seeing as how I'm moving all my geeky things to my upstairs bedroom right now, I've really wanted to decorate my basement with my wardobe being a focus.

Inspiration ahoy!

 
At February 11, 2010 at 8:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a fabulous example photo! I'd love to see more "real" examples of doing up a closet though. I have a pretty good sized closet that is relatively well organized, however, I find it hard to think of ways to cute-ify everything.

and I never have enough hooks for belts and purses. In my mind, my closet should look like an adorable store. but no matter how much room I have or how many things I "clear out" there never seems to be quite enough room to make it ultra pretty.

I think I will consider putting lace on my shelves though. <3

I really like the example photo, how they did a mural on the back of the doors. I have mirrors on mine though, so I can't do that.
the example photo is also a bit unreasonable for the long-term lolita... as that person in the photo only has very few items! So it looks so nice and clean and you can see each item very well.

(I suppose I really should sell more of my stuff... but I get attached to the few that have survived the previous cleanouts because I truly love those prints...)

 
At February 13, 2010 at 5:48 AM , Blogger Katja said...

Lovely post^_^
I've just movey in to a new apartment and i love to decor^_^ please check it out here if you want:P http://thepinkfairies.blogspot.com/

 
At February 17, 2010 at 7:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your closet is insanely cute!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home