This Page

has been moved to new address

Ponies on Parade

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Lolita Charm: Ponies on Parade

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Ponies on Parade

As a die-hard pony fan (I went to a rodeo last night just to see the petting zoo's miniature ponies...) I am completely at a loss to handle Baby the Stars Shine Bright's newest print, Unico (rn) in Bloomland! Baby's typical formula of floral edging with sweet vignettes takes it up a notch by adding unicorns, a much-asked-after but still somehow rare motif. While Angelic Pretty often breaks out the carousel ponies, actual unicorns have been rarely used. The most well-known unicorn print is actually from American indie label Pink Macaroon, with their premiere design Unicorn Fantasy. (Here's a shameless video plug to my Unicorn Fantasy review back in the day...) The closest resemblance Japanese brands have produced is Metamorphose's Twinkle Journey, which features pegasus. (image link credit to Fibrolita)



It's interesting that while many brands and street snaps show wigs for the sweet lolita look, Baby almost always goes for a natural, understated hairstyle. While you'd expect a pink or blonde wig to go with this print, the model's own brunette hair is done up in a simple side ponytail. While unusual, I think it really lets the design of the dress and accessories take center stage. My favorite aspect of this coordinate however is the transparent lace-topped socks! They look so delicate and fine. There are two transparent sock styles currently available on Baby's site, one short pair patterned with Swiss dot and one long pair patterned in roses. I think they really personify Baby's refined princess style that they seem to be capitalizing on lately - pearls, crystal drops, fine lace, and delicate prints. Even the model's open-toe high heels are a contrast to the usual chunky-heeled and heavy lolita shoe.

You can see the rest of Baby's Unico in Bloomland designs here.

And the timing couldn't be better - for all you pony lovers in New England, be sure to attend this year's Pony Fair! My Little Pony Fair and Convention, also known by its fans as Ponycon or just Pony Fair, is the travelling one-day convention  mecca for My Little Pony fans in the United States. This year's Ponycon will be in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, on July 9th, so I am hitting the road for a very magical road trip! How many times do you think the My Little Pony theme song can play on repeat in the car? Hmm...

For those who don't feel the pony urge, Ponycon (at the Hasbro headquarters!) will also be selling plenty of other vintage 80s' toys and videos, including Care Bears, Moon Dreamers, and Littlest Pet Shop (the 90s version, not the new creepy kind).


I hope to see lots of New England lolita pony lovers there! I'll be there with a pony-inspired coordinate, so if you see me, please say hello!


Labels:

10 Comments:

At June 19, 2011 at 6:49 PM , Blogger Bowleena said...

I'm so excited for the unicorns!

 
At June 20, 2011 at 2:44 AM , Blogger Holy Sugar! said...

Ahw, this print is really awesome! <3_<3

 
At June 20, 2011 at 6:48 AM , Blogger Saffron Sugar said...

I really love this print, and the translucent socks are to die for! I'm usually an AP girl (and I prefer AATP over BABY) but this is just...irresistible!

 
At June 20, 2011 at 7:05 AM , Blogger Christine said...

I really like their new print, and I really like their natural look, I feel more comfortable like that :D

 
At June 20, 2011 at 9:00 AM , Blogger Freya said...

That print is absolutely gorgeous! I just wish I could afford it ;w;

I'm glad you posted this, actually, because it led me to look up if there was something similar in the UK and there is! Which makes me incredibly happy! And it's really close to me to I will most definitely be going in my MLP FiM cosplay :3

 
At June 20, 2011 at 11:34 AM , Blogger Starlightcandy said...

I love the baby coordinate *.*

I've always likes real hair more than big wigs, they somethimes look so creapy >.<

 
At June 20, 2011 at 12:47 PM , Blogger AJ said...

And I've found a new dream dress...I love unicorns!

 
At June 20, 2011 at 2:58 PM , Blogger Nimphameth said...

amazing!!! <3

 
At June 20, 2011 at 8:52 PM , Blogger Sora said...

I will be at Pony Fair too! How exciting! I'll be wearing Bodyline's carousel print in yellow Friday and a handmade dress using the current G3.5 fabric on Saturday (it'll be a fairy-kei look). I hope you post your outfit ahead of time so I can look for you and say hi!
I actually love how Baby uses real hair, since I don't like wigs in lolita unless they look natural. To me, colorful wigs turn what would be pretty dresses too costumey.

 
At June 23, 2011 at 5:40 AM , Blogger Laura Shiva said...

Lovely in white ^_^!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home