This Page

has been moved to new address

Spotlight: Baby Ribbon

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Lolita Charm: Spotlight: Baby Ribbon

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Spotlight: Baby Ribbon

I've always been a die-hard brand cultist (you'd think there is a shrine to Maki and Asuka in my closet) but lately one of my goals has been to diversify my wardrobe. Creating a unique coordinate in a day of made-to-go-togethers isn't always easy, especially when it seems like the coolest stuff is unfairly out of reach, lurking in odd boutiques and no-name vintage stores in Japan. There are so many times I've been frustrated to see listed in teeny-tiny script below a rockin' coord: 'boots/gloves/beret/rainbow petticoat' is model's own'. I'm so sick of this that I'm actually on the prowl, digging up cute accessories that aren't your typical brand item. And for all of you who also want to dress outside the box, here's my latest little-known tip-off: Baby Ribbon!


Baby Ribbon is a vintage indie brand that carries not-quite lolita. Like MILK, their style is feminine and cute, but leans more the idea of otome (which means young maiden) or just plain girly style. I think their things would fit well with lolita, fairy-kei or maybe even gyaru. They like vintage style, popishly oversaturated colors, and simple designs and motifs like bows, pinstripes, or 50s retro characters. Here's a few of my favorite pieces from their webshop:

They have a large collection of hats (full-sized!), and for some reason an even huger collection of signature hatboxes?! If you're looking to decorate your room, their hatboxes might be just what you need to store all of your things. This mint-dot ribbon hat is my favorite - it would be so cute in a spring coordinate! Pistachio makes a very refreshing tone from the usual almost-aqua mint. If you don't want to shell out the 17,000 yen or so, this hat would be very easy to replicate at your local craft store.


This bright violet velvet ribbon has a veil of gorgeous French netting attached and a cute little bunny charm. I wish this color popped up more in lolita as it makes a great accent to the usual softer, pinkier lilacs. This could be another easy-to-replicate project for a winter afternoon. 

Their blog, which hints at a much more extensive shop (in person only, I'm sure... ) has even more uniquely adorable offerings. This is their 'Cotton Candy bag', a creamsicle-colored confection which the site claims it made of 'Tibetan lamb fur':


And of course I'm in love the simple whimsy and adorability of this coordinate! A creamy-pink skirt, sprinkled with pale blue bows like snow? Another item I'd be tempted to make, in a soft chiffon or light crepe, with dozens of hand-sew tiny bows. The net-lace beret and soft scarf make this a perfect winter coordinate. It's such a refreshing lolita style - a delicate silhouette, with smooth lines and pastel details. In a way it reminds me of mori girl with its comfort, but with all the rich colors of popkei and the wearbility of otome style. 


Other things Baby Ribbon sells: ice-cream cone shaped candles (the wick is the cherry stem!), polka-dotted cushions and candy gift baskets. Talk about variety! They're also affiliated with Ribbonholic's adorable plush animals, which you can find at Chocomint.com


I was hoping to find more backstory about Baby Ribbon, but so far not very much has come up! Rumors have affiliated them with Ribbonholic, Shirley Temple, and Emily Temple Cute. If anyone has any more knowledge about Baby Ribbon, feel free to comment!  I'm so curious XD

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home