This Page

has been moved to new address

Frills to Fairy: One Skirt, Two Ways

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Lolita Charm: Frills to Fairy: One Skirt, Two Ways

Friday, August 7, 2009

Frills to Fairy: One Skirt, Two Ways



So, in celebration of the fact that Pink Macaroon has just released its second wave of Unicorn Fantasy skirts, I decided to do a little Kera-style showcase of the print! Mine, as you may know, is the yellow colorway - and I'm in love with it. I'm also in love with fairy-kei and more specifically, fairyloli, so I wanted to cover that some more.


This skirt can go both ways - as a typical sweet lolita skirt for those who prefer softer, more tradtional coordinates, and as a super-crazy, bright fairyloli ensemble. Here's how to take this outfit from sugar to spice!

  • I switched out the white, lace topped socks (BABY the Stars Shine Bright) to no socks, and added these open-toe lilac and crystal shoes. You could keep some glittery pastel socks with this look but I'm not sure how I feel about open-toe + socks (some people hate it, others think it's fine) so the socks got the pink slip.

  • I went scrounging around at ValuVillage (somewhere between a thrift store and a Marshall's) and came up with this glitter silver belt. It adds some fascination to the waist and cost me $3. I saw this idea in Alice Deco a La Mode (vintage belts) and love it :)

  • Pink suspenders add the color to this that the pink BABY bustier did to the sweet outfit, with a peppier neon. The heart RECYCLE button gives it that campy flair, and advertises going green (I know, flair is a pun. I'm sorry, I just can't quit).

  • The giant glasses. I know, everyone is thinking I lost my mind! These are non-prescription hot pink frames, and I actually wear my contact lenses behind them. Because they're so huge, they frame the eyes without casting the shadows on your undereye circles. I'd love to see these done with circle lenses. They're pretty common in fairy-kei coordinates that I see in Kera, so when I found a pair, I had to do it.

  • The soft curls got teased into a side pony with an 80s bow instead of the headbow.

  • The chunky bracelet adds a slap of color to go with the shoes. Fairyloli doesn't require matchy-matchy style, but encourages complimenting colors of the same palette, so the lilac hilights the look well.
  • Want to go totally fairy? Ditch the petticoat and add a tee-shirt (maybe with ponies or Care Bears?) to mostly eradicate the lolita influence. Or, if you want more lolita, add wrist cuffs (preferably lilac), knee-high socks, and an even bigger or more amount of bows.

I've heard quite a few girls say lately that they like fairy lolita or like the traditional, more toned down styles, or perhaps prefer to dress more toned down but want the option of playing it up. This skirt can cater to all of those needs! And I hope this shone a little more light on how to wear fairy-kei in a style that is still definitively lolita.

You can see more of this outfit by looking at my daily_lolita post, including a close-up of the mentioned accessories.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At August 7, 2009 at 1:24 AM , Anonymous Julia said...

Most fabulous thing ever. Thanks for writing this article! You are quite the inspiration and I totally dig your new outgoing fashion sense. It suits you amazingly.

 
At August 7, 2009 at 2:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked reading this cause I just orderd the skirt in lavender :D gives me nice ideas of how I can wear the skirt once I get it!

 
At August 7, 2009 at 3:23 AM , Blogger Libertad said...

Fairyloli for the win!! Looks so funny in that way, and perfect for summer (and the hot days that we're living)!
I'll take your tips ;D

 
At August 7, 2009 at 3:29 AM , Blogger Keely Valentine said...

i LOVEE what you did with it!

 
At August 7, 2009 at 4:05 AM , Blogger Frillypinkdreams said...

It is so cute!^_^ I really like fairy lolita to! <3 I think it is a really cute style and I totally adore pastel colours so it suits my taste fine x3 hehe... you look cool in that style to! I like the skirt the most :)

 
At August 7, 2009 at 1:56 PM , Blogger Georgie said...

I love your blog! That skirt is adorable. I was wondering if you'd possibly link to my blog please? I also blog on Japanese culture. Thank you!

http://sequinsandbeads.blogspot.com/

 
At August 8, 2009 at 1:32 PM , Anonymous Sarah Ruth said...

These skirts really have a dual personality. I think a lot of this is due to their vibrant colors! You managed to capture that feeling so perfectly, and even go beyond what I had considered in these contrasting coordinates. The first one in particular is so sweet and fun in its styling, I really enjoyed it as a source of inspiration.
Also, thank you kindly for mentioning our newest batch of reservations!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home