This Page

has been moved to new address

Alice Deco A La Mode

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Lolita Charm: Alice Deco A La Mode

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Alice Deco A La Mode



Having recently downloaded a copy of Alice Deco A La Mode, courtesy of thevisual_beast, I feel compelled to voice my thoughts on it in a mini-review.

Maybe I'm ingesting too much of the standard Gothic and Lolita Bible fare, but I thought that Alice Deco A La Mode was a breath of fresh air into the Lolita style. I'm always looking for a little something else that pushes the envelope when it comes to Lolita. If you want the ultimate in trendy and in-the-moment style, then yes, the Gothic and Lolita Bible is definitely the way to go. But if you want something a little offbeat, a little more - sweet and sour rather than sweet - then this magazine is the thing for new ideas.

The best feature, I feel, is that it isn't a slew of indie brands. Indie brands are fascinating and unique, often breaking away from the pack to do something completely different than the usual styles of the season - Triple Fortune or KiraKira Shouten come to mind. But the problem with them is that to the world outside of Japan - or anyone who can't swing by Tokyo and take a browse through the hidden and thrifted stores of Harajuku - is that they're next to impossible to get a hold of. Alice Deco A La Mode features easily recognizable brands, and beyond that, this season's styles. These are the items girls are most likely to own or be able to buy. Hunting down a dress from five seasons ago can be just as difficult as locating that rare diamond-in-the-rough item at an independent brand. This means that these looks are infinitely more wearable than the usual 'outside the box' coordinates.

What really struck me about the magazine, however, were the colors! The usual soft colors of Lolita got a hit of flavor resembling a Sour Patch Kid with a new palette of colors for spring - citrusy apricot, pear green, bright teal, orchid, flamingo. Next to a soft pink typical of Angelic Pretty, a melon orange is an amazing pop. The colors are almost reminiscent of Spank! style or fairy-kei. The coordinates aren't afraid to not only pick up the colors used in a dress, as usual, but to pick a complimentary color and add it in with accessories. One of my favorite coordinates from this magazine, shown above, is Baby's new Garden Alice print, which is mint, paired with a vibrant spring green with only the help of a beret and fluffy bows on the shoes.

Unusual or vintage accessories are also a big hit in this magazine - like on the above photo, where a braided white vintage belt tops off a pink Sugary Carnival skirt from Angelic Pretty. Slouchy brown boots, hot pink eyeglasses, motorcycle jackets, and even something resembling a romper suit come into play. The look is artfully mismatched and slightly 'I raided my grandma's closet after she left for Florida' but with enough lace, parasols, and curls to keep the look decidedly Lolita.

Hairstyles also get a mention, and unlike my most recently-read edition of The Bible, their method isn't entirely tease-curl-insert. Short hair finally gets its moment in the sun with some shaped bobs, tousled cropped cuts, and casually curled side-ponies. Again, these seem much more wearable than the beehive-inspired 'dos most magazine Lolita models seem to be sporting these days.

I really recommend this magazine if you are a seasoned Lolita looking to kick it up a notch and don't mind a teensy bit of coloring outside the lines. If you are a younger Lolita still learning the ropes, go slowly when trying to blend this style into your outfits - like liquid eyeliner, it's easy to make a false move and have a big mess! Perseverance and careful observation, however, can turn an ordinary outfit into extraordinary! I hope this has inspired you to try some new things with your wardrobe!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At March 18, 2009 at 2:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

it reminds me of the clara bow magazine ^^

 
At March 19, 2009 at 9:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

:o Where can buy this magazine?? xx

 
At March 20, 2009 at 1:08 AM , Blogger Victoria Suzanne said...

The magazine can purchase from Japanese magazine retailers or can be downloaded at the corresponding link!

 
At March 22, 2009 at 9:19 PM , Blogger Amani said...

I haven't seen this issue of Alice Deco but I've seen the last one, and that was a while back.

I think what's really special about it is that not only do they show lolita, they also show a bit of other subtle female fashion styles (fail @ me for lack in explaining myself), it also shows how to wear lolita.. without wearing lolita. Rather than like, blouses or cutsews like everyone else wears with their casual style, the magazine shows how to wear some brand dresses in a casual style, no connection to the lolita style whatsoever and it still looks nice.

That might be a bit more difficult for those who have figure since a lot of times certain cuts or dresses will look really unflattering without the proper lolita skirt shape, but it's nice that they show how to use your brand in a way other than dressing in lolita.

 
At March 23, 2009 at 1:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm just being picky, but I thought I'd mention that the brand you called KiraKira Shouten is actually called Kikirara Shoten http://www.kikirarashoten.com/ :)

 
At March 1, 2010 at 1:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I really want these magazines, but I'd prefer to buy them rather then scan. Something about being able to hold them in my hands.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home