This Page

has been moved to new address

Rose Lamp Tutorial

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Lolita Charm: Rose Lamp Tutorial

Monday, January 18, 2010

Rose Lamp Tutorial

As part of the It's Your Castle series (yes, still ongoing!) I'm slowly beautifying every little corner of my room. On my nightstand is a Rococo frame with photos of my lovely girls, Miss Lumpy and Miss Julia, with purikura from San Francisco tucked in; a Hello Kitty alarm clock; and two of my journals, one for personal things and another for my blogging. But my lamp struck me as a little plain. So I set out to do something about it!

Roses are some of my favorite flowers and because of Valentine's Day coming up, the craft stores are having sales on faux roses. It was just the thing I needed for my project.

Here's what you'll need:
  • scissors
  • hot glue gun
  • smooth lampshade, preferably with a lip on the bottom
  • two bunches of roses, mine where $1 a bunch from Michael's
  • ribbon of your choice
First, use some masking tape and take all of the lint and dust off of your lampshade. Then take your bunch of roses and your scissors and start beheading them, with as little stem as possible. Next, use your hot glue gun to glue down roses along the rim of the shade. It's best if you lay them down on an angle instead of sticking straight up. It's a sturdier model and you see more of the elegance of the shape. Here's the first section of my lampshade finished.

Note: in this photo, the roses are not slanted to an angle. I found out the hard way and had to reposition them, softening the glue with a heat gun. Trust me, it wasn't easy! So angle them to begin with. But if you do mess up, use a hair dryer or heat gun to make the hot glue more malleable.

Go entirely around the lamp shade. Be careful not to burn your fingers on the hot glue.

Next, get out your ribbon. If your ribbon was crinkled like mine, here's a quick tip: don't bust out the cumbersome iron. Instead, use a hair straightener to easily smooth out ribbons. Tie the ribbon into a few small bows and hot glue them evenly around the lampshade. I used mine to hilight the spokes of the lampshade.

And that's all! This project took me about twenty minutes to do and cost me about $2 in supplies, as I already had the ribbon, glue gun, and lamp.

For my next project, I'll be making a bow-shaped pillow to decorate your bed, sofa, or loveseat.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At January 19, 2010 at 11:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

More "My Castle" stuff! And more often! As you know, I'm moving into my first apartment in two weeks and these little tips will help me beautify my ragtag mix of furniture and decor. Maybe you could even help me make some cute stuff and we can have a decorating party :D

 
At January 20, 2010 at 12:16 AM , Blogger Yuna said...

Wow this is really cute and easy!~ maybe i'll try it out myself soon!

 
At January 20, 2010 at 12:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What would probably be a nice idea too (but much more time consuming), would be to seperate the petals and re-arrange them; if I did a project like that, I'd seperate the petals to make the roses look HUGE. I see it done for weddings and events all the time and it's crazy-time consuming but worth it.

 
At January 20, 2010 at 5:17 AM , Blogger PinkJucie said...

my lamp is white with a lace shade and pearls hanging from it

 
At January 20, 2010 at 6:25 AM , Blogger Future BioChemist said...

ah, that's so cute! I've always wanted to do something with my lamp shade, never even thought about that! xD lol

 
At January 20, 2010 at 8:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

pretty lamp!my husband always complains that i decorate with too many girly stuffs, this one would surely make him suffer! though he complains, i do think he kinda likes it. he lets me do it anyways. take care and love!

 
At January 20, 2010 at 2:06 PM , Blogger Arika said...

Your glue gun looks like my old one that exploded on me. Did you get it from a 1$ store?

The lamp is really cute, I think the base of the lamp needs something though.

 
At January 20, 2010 at 3:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really cute! To bad I don't have a lamp like that! D:

 
At January 21, 2010 at 1:45 AM , Blogger Victoria Suzanne said...

@amanikitty: I think these roses are too cheap to do that! But I'd like to see it done so that it could be used for hair ornaments.

@Arika: the one in the photo is my reliable mini, but for this project I busted out the giant, ancient one. I'm not sure what I'd do with the base... rhinestones?! XD

@Q's: Any table lamp with a flat shade (not pleated) should work!

 
At January 21, 2010 at 10:38 AM , Blogger Miss Freya said...

Oh, just in time! I'm decorating my bedroom all pink and white and princessy. This will be a perfect little addition!

 
At November 1, 2024 at 12:12 PM , Anonymous Norah Ashley said...

Lovely post thanks for posting

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home