This Page

has been moved to new address

Looking Your Age in Sweet Lolita

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Lolita Charm: Looking Your Age in Sweet Lolita

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Looking Your Age in Sweet Lolita


For years I've looked much younger than my real age. Ever since I turned 18, people began to mistake me for a girl as young as 10, and generally pinpoint me at around age 15, or 16 on a good day. My real age? 20! I'm not sure if it's my Gemini cusp characteristics coming out or the sweet lolita, but either way - it can get a little old (another pun!)

But I do love sweet lolita. Poodles, ribbons, bows, and cupcakes? How could I resist? But is there a way to avoid getting offered the childrens' menu every time you don your favorite Angelic Pretty dress? Or what if you're just not as young as you used to be, but still love the style? Here are some tips to keep your sugar sweet:

  • Switch out the wide Peter Pan collars for a high or square neck. If you must have Peter Pan style, try to get one that is smaller. Very wide ones look more childish and yoke-like
  • Sweet lolita often uses a lot of chunky shoes like platforms and heavy boots. The big boots make the rest of the body look small and young in appearance, just like the 'trying on Mommy's shoes' look. Choose daintier shoes with more delicate straps and heels. Also avoid flats like the Angelic Pretty tea parties; go for a kitten or regular heel for a more grown-up look. You can look for shoes like these in classic brands like Innocent World or places like Plasticland.
  • Go for small accessories over large ones. Instead of giant headbows, use smaller bows or simply clips or corsages.
  • Use more refined sweet colors. Baby the Stars Shine Bright, the original godfather of the sweet mafia, uses a powder peach for pink instead of a bright sugar rose. Sweet can also look beautiful in bordeaux, crimson, or a soft blue. And don't neglect sweet in black or sweet in white; they're both gorgeous tones and very elegant.
  • Baby the Stars Shine Bright also has very cute prints that are distinctly sweet but not overly toddler-esque. I think Alice in Ribbonland is one such of these lovely, more refined and graceful prints.
  • Use edgier editions to bring out a more 20-something feel, like lolita motorcycle jackets or even a souped-up letter jacket decked out with bows and embroidery on the silky back.
  • Hairstyles should be smaller and simpler. Curls are still cute, but shorter styles like bobs and shoulder length will look more age-appropriate.
There are plenty of ways to wear sweet without looking too young to live your daily life. I hope you use these ideas as a spring-board to wearing your sweet lolita more often :)

Image from Alice Deco A La Mode; scans by thevisual_beast

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At July 7, 2009 at 6:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

People think I'm younger than I am too, so I get IDed at bars and sometimes movies even though I'm 26 :D I have a chubby face :D

However, I don't get offered the children's menu and that is sad, seeing as those meals are the only ones with a reasonable portion size! I hate the fad of making every meal giant-sized. I went to America and ordered a salad, but it was served in a huge salad bowl like you would take along to a party! All the restaurants here in NZ are also following the giant trend :(

I love your tips. Also avoid most bonnets if you want to look your age! :D

I love cute prints, but I dislike the way most Angelic Pretty ones have no contrast. Not only does it look younger, but you can't even see the beautiful art properly.

 
At July 7, 2009 at 8:06 PM , Blogger Victoria Suzanne said...

That's funny about the salads! Is it sad that i never thought of it that way before? XD There's also the American tradition of 'chicken salad' which at restaurants means 'have some fried chicken on a bed of lettuce'. Protip: ask for a box. I always end up bringing home half of sandwiches at restaurants and then eating them for lunch the next day.

Ooh, true, bonnets. Yeah, I love my Sugary Carnival, but only on black does it really stand out :/

 
At July 8, 2009 at 7:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah everyone says i look younger too, but it doesn't really bother me! lovely pic btw

 
At July 8, 2009 at 5:53 PM , Blogger Violet LeBeaux said...

I have the exact same problem. Good to get into the movies cheaply but bad to try to get into a club. I had the police called because a bouncer thought my id was fake once *_*
I agree with all of your tips especially about the shoes, a good heel can definitely add a few years.

 
At July 9, 2009 at 11:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was an interesting read because I actually have the opposite problem. I only just turned 17 and I never get IDed, while my friends in their mid-20s do (useful, but a little worrying). People usually think i'm at least 21 T_T
Any tips on looking younger? xD

 
At July 22, 2009 at 6:14 AM , Blogger Célia HOUSSET said...

Erf, when I go out in sweet lolita, people think I am 20, but I am 17 XD I would like to look younger, me XD

 
At November 28, 2009 at 1:55 PM , Blogger Virgo_Fields said...

sherbertsgar and hatsumi-no-baka,

I find that people look older with makeup on. So maybe if you go natural you will look your age more :)

You could also try wearing your hair down with pretty headbands.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home